This document sets out what the historical evolution of the “Lluïsa Cura” eCAT-bcn institute has been, from its beginnings as an institution dedicated to the teaching of women's trades to becoming an Institute of 'Secondary Education, specialized in Training Cycles of the families of Administration, Commerce and Tourism.
We want to highlight in this evolution the Catalanist conception of our center, which after having gone through a long stage of repression of the Catalan language, from the 80s became a leader in the use of Catalan as a vehicle and learning language among public secondary schools.
For this reason, the "Lluïsa Cura" eCAT-bcn institute is defined as a Catalan School. This means that the usual language of communication between most of its members (parents, teachers, PAS and students) is Catalan. They have been the management teams, which with the support of teachers, continuously and to this day have watched to make it possible.
On December 4, 1916, the Municipal Corporation was informed by the executors of Mrs. Lluïsa Cura i Farriols that she had died leaving in the city of Barcelona the amount of two thirds of the liquid product of her goods to be used for cultural purposes.
The clause in the will of Mrs. Lluïsa Cura granted on July 19, 1909 indicates that the legacy reads as follows:
“... and in two thirds, to the city of Barcelona, so that they are destined to the expenses of foundation or maintenance of its municipal schools, according to agrees the Exc. City Council ”.
The City Council on January 18, 1917 agreed to accept the legacy. On October 10 of the same year the executors of the said patron informed the Mayor that the amount belonging to the City Council is 192,981.39 pesetas, with the condition that this money can only be used for the construction of 'a school building for women.
In the session of the City Council of November 22, 1917, it was determined, at the proposal of the Culture Commission, that the amount of the legacy be invested, in accordance with the purposes of the donor, in the construction of 'a school for girls in the Sant Pau neighborhood, a place where the deceased had always lived. At the same time, the Commission itself was entrusted with studying and proposing the project for this school building and the site where it was to be located.
The Technical Advisory reported in session on December 20 of the same year, that in the said neighborhood there were no plots of land of the City Council to build a school and if a plot of land had to be acquired the amount of the donation was not enough. Therefore, the Department proposed as a solution, that the matter be discussed with the Reform Commission to facilitate the transfer of the plot, owned by the City Council, which occupied the former convent of Les Mínimes in C / .del Carme.
The Commission approved this request, also agreeing that the part of the building that was a school for boys would be called Milà i Fontanals and that the girls' section would be called Lluïsa Cura. In the Barcelona newspapers of December 18, 1920, the award of the works was announced by tender.
Finally, on March 3, 1921, the construction works of the Milà i Fontanals and Lluïsa Cura schools were awarded to D. Joan Buscà for the amount of 1,390,000 Ptes.
According to Mr. Bayer Gaspà, the relatives of Mrs. Lluïsa Cura protested to the City Council because the decision of the Culture Commission did not adequately interpret the will of the testator.
Prior to these events, in 1911 the Municipal School of Crafts and Crafts for Women was founded, where classes in artificial flowers, lingerie, handicrafts and tailoring were taught. In 1920 the school was remodeled extending the supply to three stages:
At that time, the City Council decided in a session on November 27, 1931, that this school, located in the Ronda de Sant Antoni, 19 would be renamed the School of Apprentices and Complementary of Women's Trades. "Lluïsa Cura".
During the Republican era, our school developed a school system in keeping with Republican educational innovations; therefore the usual language was Catalan. But in September 1939 he received a notification demanding the removal of all books, notebooks, printed matter and works of all kinds that were not written in Spanish.
In the Franco era it continued to be a school for women. And in the 70's it became an approved vocational training center in the specialties of Hairdressing and Aesthetics, Chemistry, Administration and Delineation. It was in this decade, thanks to the application of the Reform of Dr. Villar Palasí, who switched to co-education, applied from the 1980-81 academic year.
From 1980 onwards when the General Education Act of 1970 was fully applied, the validity of some aspects of the educational structure of first-level vocational training began to be questioned, focusing on the recovery from previous school deficits and setting a goal to review what was believed to be a premature specialization and professionalization of the student.
In 1980 - coinciding with the change of the Management team of the Center -, a psychopedagogical experience of treatment of school failure was initiated, through the methodological application of the operative pedagogy (application as a method of analysis and planning of learnings from the constructivist psychology of Jean Piaget). It also promoted the use of Catalan as the language of teaching and gradually went to teach classes in Spanish to them mostly in Catalan.
In addition, in the framework of the interschool seminars promoted by the IMEB, it was decided to carry out a process of adaptation of the programs and contents to reality, studying the possibilities and needs of a type of 14-year-old student who, he had generally not been able to achieve the goals of basic education, nor had he completed his personal maturation process. The educational cycle from 14 to 16 years old, former FPI, became in municipal vocational training schools, a multipurpose cycle with characteristics based on:
This required the restructuring of workshops, interdisciplinary work and globalization through projects, changes in content in the programs, renewal of teaching equipment, equipment, the introduction of new technologies and attention to the transition of students to the world of work.
On February 22, 1989, the Department of Education addressed a document to the Director General of Educational Guidance and Innovation in which, after an assessment of the period of the versatility of the REIT and the renewal of the FPII , a legal framework was requested in order to experience the Reformation in a collective way, becoming experimental centers of the new curriculum and professional modules. On April 19, 1989, the Reform Program communicated to them the experimentation of the curriculum at stages 12-16 and 16-18. At the same time, the specialties of fashion and delineation were stopped at our center.
The resolution took shape in the progressive substitution of the polyvalent courses by the 2º cycle of ESO like education of basic character and the FP of II Degree by the Baccalaureate and the Professional Modules of Middle and Upper Degree. These facts will determine in the near future a radical change with respect to the studies of FP that were distributed. Therefore, the transformations accelerated the plans of formation of the teachers of compulsory secondary, also the teachers of Module 3 of Foreign Trade (denomination that in the experimental phase received what later have been the formative cycles of Upper Degree).
From the 90's the School participates in different European programs that have allowed it:
Prior to the approval of the LOGSE (1990) the Ministry of Education and Science approved the White Paper for the Reform of the Education System , which presented a profound renewal of it.
Therefore, on January 17, 1990, the Education Department of Barcelona City Council presented to the management teams a proposal to define the structure of the municipal secondary schools:
At the Municipal Teachers' Conference in September 1992, it was announced that secondary schools would be defined by professional families or professional environments in order to take advantage of the resources.
ESO will gradually disappear given the building's infrastructure. The 93-94 academic year is the last in which the specialty of Chemistry is taught at our center, which will be concentrated at the Narcís Monturiol Secondary School. The future of the Lluïsa Cura center is the administrative and commercial family, therefore during 94-95 the last Scientific Baccalaureate is studied and the Baccalaureates are maintained. of Social Sciences and Humanities. From the 95-96 academic year, the specialties of Hairdressing and Aesthetics will disappear, and International Trade will begin.
During the 94-95 academic year, a total of 463 students are enrolled at the center, including ESO, Baccalaureate, Module 2, Module 3 and PGS. The Faculty is made up of 46 teachers and the PAS is made up of 4 people.
To the extent that the experimental modules passed to the final Curriculum they will become Training Cycles and in our center the own ones of the administrative and commercial family are distributed.
The center participated decisively in the drafting of the International Trade and Secretariat Curriculum.
During the 2001-2002 academic year, the specialty of Tourism (Travel Agency and ICT) began to be taught, and in 2004-05 the training cycles in Accommodation and Transport Management began.
At present, all the Training Cycles of the administrative family, all those of the commercial family and a cycle of the tourism family are studied at the Institute.
Surely our patron would be very pleased to see how his legacy, over the years, has borne fruit both in quantity and, above all, in quality. Since then we have received testimonies from students, of all ages, who will always remember the drive, generosity and training that one day Mrs. Lluïsa Cura wanted to start.
It should be noted that this trajectory has been traced by a group of people who from the beginning have believed in the project of our center, who have all continued with dedication, enthusiasm and endowing the concept of educating from a global point of view, for such as to become a leading institution in teaching and knowledge transfer. Our thanks to all those who have made it possible for us to get to where we are now.